Protein Twix Bar
This classic candy bar just got a protein-packed makeover! Bring back the flavors of childhood with a sweet treat that swaps out processed, artificial ingredients in favor of those that are natural and way better-for-you. Protein Twix Bars are so good, you might just need to keep a frozen batch on hand at all times!
Servings: 12 bars
Bottom Shortbread Layer
- 1/2 cup Orgain Vanilla Plant Based Powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
Middle Caramel Layer
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
Top Chocolate Layer
- 1 bar 100% dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp flakey sea salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- For the shortbread: In a medium sized bowl combine the Orgain Vanilla Plant Based Protein Powder and almond flour.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, vegan butter or coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter, vegan butter or coconut oil and maple syrup together.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and set aside.
- Pour the shortbread batter into an 8”x8” baking pan lined with parchment paper. Cover the bottom of the pan completely.
- Bake the shortbread for 15 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown at the edges.
- After the shortbread is set, let it cool for at least 20 minutes before adding the middle caramel layer.
- For the Caramel: melt the coconut oil for the caramel layer and in a small pan and then mix all caramel layer ingredients together until completely combined.
- Pour caramel over the shortbread and let it cool/harden in the fridge.
- For the Chocolate Topping: In a small saucepan melt the 100% dark chocolate bar and coconut oil together on low-medium heat.
- Once the caramel layer is completely cooled, pour the chocolate layer on top.
- Let the twix bars cool in the fridge before cutting.